Temporary Residency (Subclass 485) is a visa category offered by the Australian government that allows international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution to live and work in Australia temporarily. The Temporary Residency visa is specifically designed to provide eligible graduates with an opportunity to gain valuable work experience in their field of study or to improve their English language skills.
To be eligible for the Temporary Residency (Subclass 485) visa, applicants must have completed at least two years of study in Australia, which must have led to the award of a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. Alternatively, they may be eligible if they have completed a trade qualification that qualifies for skilled migration. It is important to apply for this visa within six months of completing the eligible course.
The Temporary Residency (Subclass 485) visa has two streams:
1. Graduate Work Stream: This stream is for graduates with qualifications and skills that are relevant to specific occupations in demand in Australia. It allows them to work full-time in their nominated occupation for up to 18 months.
2. Post-Study Work Stream: This stream is for graduates who have completed a higher education degree in Australia, such as a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. Depending on the level of their qualification, they may be granted a visa for up to two, three, or four years. During this period, they can work unrestricted in any occupation.
Applicants for the Temporary Residency (Subclass 485) visa need to meet health and character requirements and may be required to undergo health examinations. Additionally, they must have adequate health insurance coverage for the duration of their stay in Australia.
The application process involves submitting an online application, providing necessary documents such as academic transcripts, proof of graduation, English language proficiency test results, health insurance coverage, and any other documents specified by the Department of Home Affairs. Once approved, the Temporary Residency (Subclass 485) visa allows graduates to live, work, and study in Australia temporarily, providing a valuable opportunity to gain work experience and enhance their skills. As immigration rules can change over time, it is advisable to check the official Australian government website for the most up-to-date information before applying for the Temporary Residency (Subclass 485) visa.
- Valid passport.
- Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) or Letter of Offer from an Australian educational institution.
- Financial proof to cover tuition fees and living expenses.
- Evidence of English language proficiency.
- Health insurance coverage.
Visa Application Whole Process
- Processing time: 7 – 28 Days
- Stay period: Up to 180 Days
- Entry Persons: Single / Double
- Life Insurance: Yes
- Medical Checkup: Yes
- Total Charges: $23,570